Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas Break quilting progress


Unfortunately my alarm will be going off in the early hours tomorrow morning and I'll have to get back into the routine again. It is always hard to go back to work after a nice long break. My break this time was very relaxing. I spent the first few days prepping for Christmas and the big dinner, but then the remainder of my vacation left to just kick back. As shown on an earlier post, I finished up a baby quilt. Currently I'm working on a black and white snowball quilt. Four inch blocks! It's the quilt shown below...it was on the cover of one of the recent quilting magazines, but I don't remember which one. The blocks will alternate between the black and white snowballs. I made three red blocks with black corners that I will scatter through the quilt for just a little pop. Right now I have about 40 more of the blocks to make before I can start laying them out and arranging them before sewing. I have a nice mixture of fabrics so I want to make sure they are all evenly distributed throughout the top. I think it'll be pretty dramatic looking when all is said and done.

The other bitches haven't had as much time off as I have, but D was the recipient of a new Pfaff sewing machine for Christmas! She said sewing on it is like the difference between driving an old car compared to a Lexus. M recently bought a Pfaff for herself and I know she's enjoying it too. My ole Viking, which is now 7 years old runs beautifully, but it sure is a loud machine compared to Pfaffs.

I spent a bit of time today transcribing another one of Bessie Barnhart letters. This one was from 1908. It's posted at www.bessiebarnhart.blogspot.com. This was a pretty long letter, but thankfully the paper on this letter wasn't in as bad as shape as the first two I transcribed. For the first time the mysterious suitor signed his first name, so I now know that C. E. Rowe is Clint Rowe. That gives me a little more to go on when I go to check on census records.

One final bit of fun...I bought a Wii earlier in the week and managed to snag a Wii Fit at the local WM today. Surprisingly it is a pretty good work out and lots of fun. My balance isn't what it should be and the feedback you get while playing the balance games and doing the yoga poses helps with form. I think it'll be a good motivator to get my body moving!

Have a great week!

SB#1

No comments: